Monday, May 25, 2020

The wedding

When I got all the girls together, dressed up with our hair done, makeup and dresses I couldn’t have prepared enough for this moment. I was about to marry the love of my life, John.  Sitting down on a chair as my hair was blow dried and ready to go into the a fancy bun (It’s the only style that would suit my dress, covered in lace at the back, so that guests could see the handiwork).  Nobody really knows unless you’ve been married just how much work it is to put this together.  But as I contemplated just how much work it came to mind, just how hard John has worked with me up until this point. It was enough to know something, anything.  I don’t like doing things myself but if someone is doing it with me I am happy. So I am glad that I see John sitting there one day exhausted from work, as I have been.  We are in this together and I am stronger than yesterday in being ready for a hard-working marriage.  

Once the dress was on with the garter, the veil that stretched ten feet back (as long as the back of the dress), I knew that I was in reality.  This is my reality, I’m going down the aisle now, the girls are already making their way down. Behind me was the back of the dress spread along its 10 foot distance, which my youngest sister set out for me before leaving as a bridesmaid.  The veil is a symbol to me of the sanctity and humility of the beautiful woman over which it heaves.  There is only one man who will remove it from my face, and that is the man I am about to meet as the doors open and the beauty of the moment is revealed.  I’m not nervous anymore, I’m not stressed, he’s there, I’m there, we have officially declared our love and commitment to each other as the walking down the aisle symbolizes that commitment.  We see each other, and that beautiful gaze between now woman and man means that physical declaration is about to come.  How can I prepare enough for this moment? I’ve always said that my wedding is the most important day of my life and now as I step from regular single life to marriage, it’s not about me, it’s for him, my life and everything.  May God bless this moment and the moment to come forever and ever.    

He’s staring at me in those big, huge eyes, with a smile on his face.  I would see him dressed as a married man in just 15 minutes, and I would always envision him as my husband.  You see it’s not really about what you do in this moment, other than the vows because they represent god’s blessing in making them a reality.  I know the material, work and money is so important and is a reason we’re getting married, but it does not make the marriage last.  A wedding is beautiful, but it is the hearts and lives exemplifying true love that makes the wedding and marriage beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment