Sunday, March 29, 2020

As he was sitting there he did not know that I had him on my mind for I never show my feelings that the the little things like him being on a phone did not grab my attention. He had a baseball cap on which i love, talking on the phone to someone and you know what every girl would be doing, seeing him in front of them, wondering who is he talking to? is it a girl? And who is she? Is she a girl from his part or a friend? Are they a past relationship and is being rekindled? Then a girl would start doubting herself. Why am I doing this? Should I leave him out of his life altogether? But he keeps looking at me so what does that mean? I didn’t do much that day. He really wasn’t making any advances that day toward me so why should do anything? But then he passed me one day. He was wearing this bubble jacket and he passed me just as I had hoped and called my name, staring right at me. “How are you Sarah?” he would ask of me. “I haven’t seen you in ages. What’s going on in your life? I’m in med school at the University of Alberta.” This is like every girl’s dream, to meet a guy like this, good looking, has friends, has as a loving family and is on his way to a leading profession, taking care of people like this. Every girl’s dream. It seemed so surreal, like this is not happening, like it will never happen for me, but there I was listening to him speak. He kept touching his shoulders, and I asked him if he hurt his shoulder. “I dislocated it as I was playing ultimate frisbee” I explained what I was doing in Edmonton, to which he would say, … This is the thing that this story has changed about me I used to hide all my feelings I never stand up for myself I was a lone wolf that always kept to myself and I am greatly indebted to him for allowing me to break out of my shell and leaving me that day. You say why would you be thankful for a man leaving you, your father ridiculing you, hearing day after day, “you poor girl” and all I know is that i never felt alone and like I was doing this for no purpose. It is so important in our society for women to stand up for themselves. We are shunned, still not able to speak what is on our mind, and to do it still keeps our adrenaline moving as well. This begs the question why do we do this? What is forcing us to remain quiet, think that we don’t have the right to speak up? Some women find this easier to do and now we have learned how important it I to say what’s on your mind – you never know when you or someone else might need to in their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment