Sunday, April 4, 2021

Article rejection

So off I went to my apartment where my roommate was waiting for me for a girl’s night out. We had an apartment in New York, just down the street from central park. On this particular night, skies were clear and we were set to go to a restaurant, one of our favorites! Everything was as calm as could be, no one in sight except for those eating at our favourite restaurant, TGIFs! It was packed with people conversing of the night being a day before the work week coming upon them! Others couldn’t wait to go to the dance club or bar to ensure that most memories could be made in a night they would forget for years to come. We were just there to have a bite to eat and there is no harm in wanting to do that. So as we came upon our seat and our waitress approached us after a few minutes of deciding what to eat, I was ordering a chicken dish, my favourite, smothered in cheese with potato and bell papers also with cheese. And as I was eating it, we broke out in conversation. “How was your day at work,” my roommate asked. “Oh it was good, the usual writing about New York’s art scene, what you would see in the art gallery!” “Oh that’s so cool.” Sandy said. “I wish my job was more interesting like that. I stood up at the front of a classroom today, telling the kids that they need to have their math homework written down as there is a quiz on Monday. So fun!!” “Sandra, my job isn’t everything people make it out to be! I researched on some of the artwork in the exhibit but most importantly, I got feedback about a written article detailing the outcome of a play being held at the University. They said the article for this was a lot like the others. The reviewer, who happened to be one of the play’s long time actors, totally bashed me for how I wrote it!” “I hate this,” I thought. “A lot like the others? What was that suppose to mean? I wasn’t good enough for him, and I was average, being just like the other writers before me. I wanted to be unique, stand out, and able to write better than anyone out there. Seriously, my goal has always been to be the best and this was certainly not starting to feel that way at all. I was a great writer by the time I left University to come here. I had mad skills. Why couldn’t I muster up the courage to write a better article? How would I write it? It just wasn’t fair, he didn’t even talk about the inclusivity of writing about all the characters in the play. You can tell my thoughts were so negative! But I already felt like quitting, taking all my stuff and heading back home to Canada.” “Well what happened, Sarah, what did this actor say!!??”

No comments:

Post a Comment