Monday, April 5, 2021

the article

So I was writing about a play that went on at the university! It was about two lovers that find each other in the end, but that have these struggles they have to go through in order to keep their love alive! Well I was so focused on the story being told - the plot, the characters, the setting or where it was taking place that I forgot about other things. “Well what’s his problem with that? I mean it seems really justified that you would write about them. Those all seem to be important things that you could write about." "He was complaining about writers of plays in the school newspaper before me as well a myself because he felt these reviews of plays were not correctly written! He said that writers of plays in the paper should have something meaningful to write about other than what’s going on in the play, perhaps why the love relationship in the play is carrying on for so long or the significance of the setting props on the stage, or the plot development of the love affair and how this complements the love relationship! I mean, it’s like an essay, you’re expected to go above and beyond the obvious nature of the story, and not what is obvious on stage but to look more into the story that will answer questions like why something occurred, as it relates to the story, namely the relationship, in this case. “Oh, I see” she says, “that stuff is way beyond me. I can talk about the plot of the love affair and stuff that is insanely obvious, but don’t ask me about underlying thematic discourses about a play." I got a little chuckle out of that. "I know that lots of people can’t do what I do, but the critic whose the actor really got under my skin, and now I don’t like him or the play, and I feel like giving it all up! "Don’t get yourself down about it! You’re amazingly smart and intelligent, you can come up with ideas to write about better than anyone I know! NO one is like you, not even me and I consider myself to be smart too. I know when a person is successful and when they are not and you just have this vibe, this aura about you that people are drawn to." "I know, but im dreading what the boss is going to say, whether or not he will tell me that im not good enough or ask why he hired me and will guilt trip me like he always does! But I knew this was going to be a gamble, a big risk, im not artsy at all and I am always like this when I AM DOING SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME. I tend to just look at the story from my point of view. I don’t see the story from the perspective of anyone but myself, what I know and unfortunately I hate taking risks so I end up writing about basic truths and ideas. I guess that’s exactly what the critic is challenging me to do – write from outside the box because learning something different through writing is always a good choice and a more interesting reason to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment