Friday, April 2, 2021

coffee shop lesson

So as I stepped into New York, there was nothing I had prepared enough to take on the job I was to do there. As I stepped into the coffee shop, I didn’t know it but my world would change for the better. Everything seemed quite normal, when you walk into Starbucks at any location. There was a man sitting around the corner talking to a young little girl that looked like his daughter. What was he saying to her? I don’t know but perhaps they were talking about her classmates who bully her and her dad is the only one in her life where she feels love and care for her. As I looked beside the door, walking in, there were two gentlemen in black suits and immediately one knows what they might be conversing about! Perhaps the company they work for is advancing so far that their paychecks are going to go up while the lady in a scruffy old jacket is holding onto her cup of hot chocolate which cost her the last of the change in her bank account. Then there's, you know, normal women-type relationships, discussing family and how much joy there is in the world to watch their little girls and boys grow up to achieve in life. Do you ever do that? Do you ever Go somewhere and wonder what all these people are doing with their lives? I do. Maybe it’s the writing in me, maybe it’s the wonder of it all, the curiosity god always gives me wherever I go. Wouldn’t life be dull and unchallenging and not fun at all to be secluded in my little writing and reading bubble! I GUESS im granted these gifts to share my story. So here I was in a big city curious as to what the world thinks about and how either fortunate or unfortunate life can be. Because in the midst of the chaos, like the woman whose head was shaved and probably had cancer, we don’t really care about her, do we? This may be her last chance to enter a coffee shop, but we take that coffee or hot chocolate for granted, even the holding of what represented the last of the one lady's change. AT LEAST SHE STILL CAN LIVE. BUT I JUST WONDER, DO THESE PEOPLE, MAKING LOTS OF MONEY AND WHOM HAVE LOTS OF LOVE, CARE THE WAY THAT DAD CONSOLES HIS DAUGHTER. I don’t know about you, but that ain’t right; we’re more focused on those dear to us like the women and their precious big children growing up and especially the millionaires making their money. Is there something wrong with this picture!? I think there is. It’s not like I don’t struggle with this too, I mean here I am picking up my Starbucks just so I can join the club - I am defined, loved and accepted by the fact that im addicted to the status quo Starbucks brand but this is such a societal wrong because it’s not about the cup, it’s about our hearts being connected to each other in a coffee shop. So I walk up to the counter where the lady takes my order and I wait patiently on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment